When I contacted customer service to expedite my return, I was asked several questions; did I open the packaging? was it installed?

did I call their service department before I made my online purchase? Wait, what now!?! According to Tim in customer service they expect customers go online to pick out what they want, but not order it. The customer should call in to make sure they are ordering the right part.

I'd call in if purchasing a hitch because each vehicle is different when it comes to mounting, but I was ordering a $9 "wedge" that, according to their website video, would solve the rattle and sway of my ill-fitting bike rake on my 1.25 hitch receiver. There are no instructions on their website to call them before purchasing this wedge. Nothing state that this is not a universal part. None.

Zero. Tim proceeded to ask me what kind of rack, what kind of vehicle, why I didn't call first and explained that the video only shows one kind of vehicle and type of hitch. To increase my disappointment even more, the shipping label they send you to return your items is paid by you, and is not ground. So in my case, shipping it back would cost me as much as the part.

Since there was no way for me to know I was supposed to call in before ordering online, I asked if they'd reimburse my original shipping of $3. Tim declined. Yep, for $3 they now have another disappointed person who will never buy from them again.

Beware! They ask questions, chastise you for not knowing you should call first, and it is a hassle.

Review about: Etrailer Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Shipping costs for return covered.

Comments