Buyer beware of etrailer . com

I would like to warn you guys about my experience with etrailer . com. I ordered from them a trailer hitch and a wiring harness that were supposed to be a direct bolt on package for my specific vehicle. They have a very good ordering experience and shipping was fast. Where they fall apart is if you have a problem.

The hitch itself was made by draw-tite and was a snap to install. Bolted up easy and quick with no problems. The wiring harness was a different story. It was supposed to be specific to my vehicle but it did not fit.

When you follow the instructions you start at the left taillight and install the module, the body ground, and the wires that will go to the trailer. They have very good instructions with photographs and step by step guidelines. They also have videos on line that are supposed to be specific to each vehicle.

The final step after installing all the stuff near the left tail light is to route the wires from the harness to the right tail light. Here is where you find out the harness is not long enough to reach the right tail light.

A call to etrailer on Saturday resulted in no one available in customer service tech and the operator at the sales line could only confirm I did have the correct part number. This operator did say I am not the first to complain about this. I asked that they have customer service contact me.

Not being able to get any help from etrailer, and having my vehicle out of commission for the installation I simply went ahead and extended the harness 18 inches so it would work. I can’t help but wonder what folks who do not have the tools, material, and ability would do in a similar situation.

I couple days later I connected with etrailer by email and they refused to acknowledge there could be a problem with the harness. I wanted them to deeply discount the harness I was forced to modify and at first they refused. They also refused to confirm what their operator told me about other complaints. After many emails they did offer me 10 percent discount on the harness and that amounted to about 5 bucks.

I believe etrailer knows the harness will not work. They also know when you figure out the harness is to short you are 90 percent done with the job and will simply do what I did. I think they have a large supply of these defective harnesses and sell them knowing they are not correct.

I believe etrailer is not an honest company and will not do business with them again. I will also suggest anyone in need of similar products look elsewhere.Thanks for listening and I hope this helps others from repeating the mistake I made in buying from etrailer . com

Product or Service Mentioned: Etrailer Customer Care.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Sep 09, 2015.

Comments

Couldnt agree more. Buying and picking out gear was a snap.

Hitch fit reasonably well but with gaps where the feet bolt up against the frame of my car.

Then I got to the wiring and learned I have to run a power line from the battery. This is WAY more than I bargained for. On my last car, uhaul tapped into the harness at one tail light and was done with the complete install while I stood there.

Customer service was argumentative and I am now stuck with a hitch with no lights and a harness I cannot use. Maybe I should have read more but the made the install seem like a snap.

Everybody is nice when you are giving them money.

Good companies are nice when you ask for it back. Etrailer is not a good company in my mind.